Joining a Sorority or Fraternity
Welcome to Greek life at ECU! At ECU we are proud of our Greek community, which fosters the development of leadership skills and enhances members’ personal lives. As your son or daughter starts to settle in and develop interests, he or she will have many opportunities to choose from. There are more than seventy student organizations registered with the ECU Office of Campus Life and Leadership. One option your son or daughter may find interesting is joining a fraternity or sorority. As a parent, this decision deserves your input and careful consideration.
I hope that you will find this website a valuable tool in learning more about Greek life at ECU. As the Director, I strongly support the Greek community and see it as a “learning lab of life,” giving students real-world experience that they can take with them into their professional careers. Being a member of a fraternity or sorority gives students opportunities to assume different leadership roles, from programming and money management. They not only make friendships that last a lifetime, but also learn how to work with many diverse people toward a common goal - the growth and management of their chapter.
As you and your student discuss participation in a Greek organization, please feel free to contact me at any time with questions or concerns. I can be reached at (580) 559-5231 or at email@example.com. As an administrator, I am here to serve not only the students of ECU, but also their families. I look forward to being a resource to you both.
- A support group to help make the adjustment to college easier.
- Scholastic resources to help students achieve their academic goals.
- Leadership skills acquired through hands-on experience.
- Encouragement to get involved and maximize potential on campus.
- Opportunities for active participation in community service projects.
- National research has shown that involvement in sororities and fraternities increases students' chances of graduating from college.
- Membership in a sorority or fraternity is for a lifetime. Many alumni return to campus for football and other special events. Most chapters at ECU have newsletters and special weekends for alumni. These activities promote lifetime friendships that extend beyond individual chapters and include members of the national Greek community.
Additional costs throughout the semester may go to meal plans, pictures, gifts, social events, T-shirts, etc. Several chapters at ECU offer payment plans and scholarships for members who need financial assistance. While your son or daughter is participating in the membership intake/recruitment process, make sure that he or she asks about the financial obligations of membership.
The time spent in this program will give your student the opportunity to develop his/her leadership and time management skills, learn about the history of the organization, develop friendships with the new member class, as well as the rest of the chapter, and allow them to become involved with other organizations.
Expectations will vary after initiation. Each chapter has weekly chapter meetings and other mandatory events (philanthropic, service, initiation) throughout the year. These events should be planned in advance.
Most chapters require a high GPA for continued active membership in the organization. The average new member and active members GPA for the ECU Greek community maintains well above a 3.0.