Bachelor of General Studies Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible?

Any student 21 years or older who has completed at least 60 hours and no more than 100 hours of college credit is eligible for admission to the program.  Students with more than 100 hours' credit may be admitted to the program following successful completion of an appeal process.

What are the requirements for graduation with a Bachelor of General Studies?

BGS students must meet the same general education and other requirements for graduation as all other undergraduates.  These include: completion of 60 hours at a senior college; 30 hours completed at  ECU with the last 15 hours in residence; 40 hours' upper level course work; at least 124 hours total with a minimum 2.0 grade point average, and other requirements defined in the ECU catalog.

What happens if one cannot attend classes during the day or on campus in Ada?

Most students should be able to fulfill all requirements with evening classes available at varied locations or via OneNet, web-based, or arranged classes.  Also, classes  from other colleges and universities may be used to fulfill some requirements.  Credits acquired from Murray State College or Southeastern Oklahoma State University at the Ardmore Higher Education Center, that are designated as such on the student's transcript, may count toward the 30-hour ECU residence requirement.

How many hours are required for the BGS major?   Is a minor required?

The BGS major requires 45 hours of which 27 must be upper division.  The BGS core courses are the only required courses.  BGS students work with their advisor to select another 33 hours of course work which may include either new course work or credits completed previously.  No minor is required.

Will all hours completed previously apply to the degree?

In most cases, students will be able to count all course work previously completed at accredited colleges.  Exceptions may occur when a student has completed a large number of hours without addressing the requirements defined above.

Can one obtain credit for military and other non-college course work?

Credit may be obtained for such experience with validation of the student's appropriate level of learning.

What can one do with a Bachelor of General Studies?

The BGS meets many employers' requirements for hiring or promotion and can also provide the foundation for admission to graduate school.  In addition, students should tailor their BGS core requirements and other course work to address particular career and personal learning goals including specialization in particular content areas.

How do I get started?

Students who have not been admitted to ECU previously should begin that process by:
  1. Apply to the university on line at:

  2. Send copies of all college transcripts to both addresses below:

    • Office of Admissions and Records
      East Central University
      1100 E. 14th St.
      Ada, OK 74820

    • Dr. Mark Hollingsworth, Dean
      College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
      East Central University
      1100 E. 14th St.
      Ada, OK 74820 (electronic submissions at:

  3. Request a BGS program application from Dr. Hollingsworth via email, or pick one up on campus in the Dean’s office, 140 Faust Hall.

After students complete the BGS program application, it should be sent back to the Dean’s office for evaluation and the creation of an Individual Learning Plan for the student.  After evaluation of the application materials, students may be admitted to the program, required to submit additional documentation or denied admission.  If denied, students are generally directed to another major that is more suitable and less timely to complete.